Fuzzytumz logo

Are cats allergic to Groundsel or is it toxic to them?

Gothic-style illustration of a Groundsel plant

Groundsel (Senecio vulgaris), also known as old-man-in-the-spring or common groundsel, is a flowering plant in the Asteraceae family. While not an allergen, groundsel is highly toxic to cats if ingested. This poisonous plant commonly grows as a weed in gardens, pastures, and disturbed areas throughout Europe, Asia, and North America.

The toxicity of groundsel for cats is due to pyrrolizidine alkaloids, which are compounds that cause severe liver damage. Even small amounts of the plant can lead to liver failure if left untreated.

Toxicity level

High

Search Through Our Comprehensive 300+
Toxic Plant Archive Today

Additional image of the plant

Symptoms your cat may have

If a cat ingests groundsel, it may display the following symptoms:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Loss of appetite
  • Lethargy
  • Jaundice (yellowing of the skin and eyes)
  • Neurological signs such as disorientation, seizures, or coma in severe cases

These symptoms usually appear within a few days of ingestion and can progress rapidly.

Potential diagnosis your Vet may give

If you suspect your cat has eaten groundsel, seek veterinary care immediately. Your vet will likely perform the following steps to diagnose groundsel poisoning:

  1. Physical examination to assess overall health and check for signs of liver damage
  2. Blood tests to evaluate liver function and check for anemia
  3. Urinalysis to look for abnormalities related to liver failure
  4. Liver biopsy in some cases to confirm the diagnosis
An illustrative banner depicting an anthropomorphic cat in a vet's office, alongside a call-to-action message that reads: 'If you suspect your pet may have ingested a potentially toxic substance,' accompanied by a prominent button stating 'Find A Vet Near Me!
An illustrative banner depicting an anthropomorphic cat in a vet's office, alongside a call-to-action message that reads: 'If you suspect your pet may have ingested a potentially toxic substance,' accompanied by a prominent button stating 'Find A Vet Near Me!

FAQ

Q: Is Groundsel toxic to cats?

A: Yes, Groundsel is toxic to cats. Ingesting this plant can cause symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, and liver damage.

Q: What are the symptoms of Groundsel poisoning in cats?

A: Symptoms of Groundsel poisoning in cats include vomiting, diarrhea, and lethargy. In severe cases, it can lead to liver damage and jaundice.

Q: How can I treat Groundsel poisoning in cats?

A: If your cat has ingested Groundsel, seek immediate veterinary care. Treatment often involves supportive care to manage symptoms and prevent further complications.

Q: Are there other plants similar to Groundsel that are toxic to cats?

A: Yes, other plants like Ragwort and Senecio are also toxic to cats. It’s crucial to keep these and other harmful plants out of reach of your pets.

Q: How can I prevent my cat from eating Groundsel?

A: To prevent your cat from eating Groundsel, avoid planting it in your garden or keep it in areas inaccessible to your cat. Providing safe chew toys and plenty of stimulation can help deter your cat from chewing on toxic plants.

Q: What should I do if my cat shows signs of poisoning after eating Groundsel?

A: If your cat shows signs of poisoning after eating Groundsel, contact your veterinarian immediately. Prompt treatment is essential to alleviate symptoms and prevent serious health issues.

History of Groundsel

Groundsel has a long history of use in traditional herbal medicine dating back to ancient times. It was mentioned in the works of Pliny the Elder and Dioscorides for treating various ailments. However, its toxicity was not well understood until modern times.

In the 18th and 19th centuries, groundsel was sometimes used as a purgative or emetic. It was also believed to have anti-inflammatory and wound-healing properties when applied topically.

Despite its historical medicinal uses, groundsel is now known to be unsafe for consumption by humans and animals due to its hepatotoxic effects. It is considered an invasive weed in many areas.

Further reading and sources

Please note: The information shared in this post is for informational purposes only and should not be considered as veterinary medical advice.

Hit the kitty paws and help increase worldwide cat karma!

305