Fuzzytumz logo

Are cats allergic to Green Gold Naphthysis or is it toxic to them?

Byzantine-style illustration of a Green Gold Naphthysis plant

Green Gold Naphthysis, also known as Nephthytis, Arrow-Head VineAfrican EvergreenTrileaf Wonder, or Goosefoot plant, is a common houseplant that is highly toxic to cats.

This plant contains insoluble calcium oxalate crystals which can cause severe irritation and inflammation in a cat’s mouth, throat, and digestive tract if ingested. Green Gold Naphthysis is often found as an indoor ornamental plant in homes and offices.

Toxicity level

High

Search Through Our Comprehensive 300+
Toxic Plant Archive Today

Additional image of the plant

Symptoms your cat may have

If a cat bites into or ingests any part of the Green Gold Naphthysis plant, the calcium oxalate crystals are released and immediately begin to irritate the cat’s mouth and digestive tract tissues. Symptoms of poisoning can include:

  • Oral irritation
  • Intense burning and irritation of the mouth, tongue, and lips
  • Excessive drooling
  • Vomiting
  • Difficulty swallowing
  • Pawing at the mouth
  • Choking or gagging
  • Respiratory distress (in severe cases)

Potential diagnosis your Vet may give

If you suspect your cat has ingested Green Gold Naphthysis, take them to a veterinarian immediately. The vet will likely perform the following steps to diagnose plant poisoning:

  1. Physical examination to assess symptoms and overall condition
  2. Review of the cat’s medical history and discussion of potential exposure to toxic plants
  3. Diagnostic tests which may include:
    • Complete Blood Count (CBC) to check for anemia or infection
    • Biochemical profile to evaluate organ function
    • Urinalysis to assess kidney function
    • Imaging (x-rays or ultrasound) to check for intestinal obstruction or organ damage
An illustrative banner depicting an anthropomorphic cat in a vet's office, alongside a call-to-action message that reads: 'If you suspect your pet may have ingested a potentially toxic substance,' accompanied by a prominent button stating 'Find A Vet Near Me!
An illustrative banner depicting an anthropomorphic cat in a vet's office, alongside a call-to-action message that reads: 'If you suspect your pet may have ingested a potentially toxic substance,' accompanied by a prominent button stating 'Find A Vet Near Me!

FAQ

Q: Is Green Gold Naphthysis toxic to cats?

A: Yes, Green Gold Naphthysis is toxic to cats. Ingesting this plant can cause symptoms like vomiting, drooling, and difficulty swallowing.

Q: What are the symptoms of Green Gold Naphthysis poisoning in cats?

A: Symptoms of Green Gold Naphthysis poisoning in cats include oral irritation, excessive drooling, and vomiting. Cats may also experience difficulty swallowing and lethargy.

Q: How can I treat Green Gold Naphthysis poisoning in cats?

A: If your cat has ingested Green Gold Naphthysis, seek immediate veterinary care. Treatment often involves rinsing the mouth and providing supportive care to alleviate symptoms.

Q: Are there other plants similar to Green Gold Naphthysis that are toxic to cats?

A: Yes, other plants like Philodendron and Dieffenbachia are also toxic to cats. It’s crucial to keep these and other harmful plants out of reach of your pets.

Q: How can I prevent my cat from eating Green Gold Naphthysis?

A: To prevent your cat from eating Green Gold Naphthysis, place the plant in an area inaccessible to your cat or choose pet-safe plants. Providing alternative chew toys and engaging activities can also help deter your cat from chewing on houseplants.

Q: What should I do if my cat shows signs of poisoning after eating Green Gold Naphthysis?

A: If your cat shows signs of poisoning after eating Green Gold Naphthysis, contact your veterinarian immediately. Prompt treatment is essential to alleviate symptoms and prevent serious health issues.

History of the Green Gold Naphthysis

Green Gold Naphthysis (Syngonium podophyllum) is native to the tropical regions of Central and South America. It was first described by German-Dutch botanist Heinrich Wilhelm Schott in 1829.

The plant gained popularity as an ornamental houseplant in the mid-20th century due to its attractive foliage and tolerance for low-light conditions. However, its toxicity to pets, especially cats, has become more widely recognized in recent years, leading many pet owners to avoid keeping this plant in their homes.

Further reading and sources

Please note: The information shared in this post is for informational purposes only and should not be considered as veterinary medical advice.

Hit the kitty paws and help increase worldwide cat karma!

305