Fuzzytumz logo

Are cats allergic to Franciscan Rain Tree or is it toxic to them?

Byzantine-style illustration of a Franciscan Rain Tree with green leaves and purple and white flowers

The Franciscan Rain Tree, also known as Yesterday-Today-and-TomorrowKiss-Me-QuickMorning-Noon-and-Night, and Lady-of-the-Night, is a highly toxic plant to cats.

This ornamental shrub, commonly found in gardens and as a houseplant, contains dangerous toxins in all parts of the plant, especially the berries, which can cause severe poisoning in felines.

Toxicity level

SEVERE

Search Through Our Comprehensive 300+
Toxic Plant Archive Today

Additional image of the plant

Symptoms your cat may have

If a cat ingests any part of the Franciscan Rain Tree, they may experience a range of symptoms indicating toxicity. These signs usually appear within a few hours of exposure and can include:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea (may contain plant material)
  • Drooling or hypersalivation
  • Lethargy and weakness
  • Tremors or muscle twitching
  • Seizures
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Abnormal heart rate
  • Coma in severe cases

Potential diagnosis your Vet may give

If you suspect your cat has ingested any part of a Franciscan Rain Tree, seek immediate veterinary care. Your vet will likely follow these diagnostic steps:

  1. Perform a thorough physical examination to assess your cat’s condition.
  2. Take a detailed history of the exposure, including the amount ingested and time since ingestion.
  3. Conduct blood tests to evaluate organ function and check for electrolyte imbalances.
  4. Perform urinalysis to assess kidney function.
  5. Take radiographs (X-rays) to check for any obstructions or abnormalities in the digestive tract.

Based on these findings, your vet may diagnose Brunfelsia toxicity and develop an appropriate treatment plan.

An illustrative banner depicting an anthropomorphic cat in a vet's office, alongside a call-to-action message that reads: 'If you suspect your pet may have ingested a potentially toxic substance,' accompanied by a prominent button stating 'Find A Vet Near Me!
An illustrative banner depicting an anthropomorphic cat in a vet's office, alongside a call-to-action message that reads: 'If you suspect your pet may have ingested a potentially toxic substance,' accompanied by a prominent button stating 'Find A Vet Near Me!

FAQ

Q: Are cats allergic to Franciscan Rain Tree?

A: Yes, cats can be allergic to Franciscan Rain Tree. Symptoms of an allergic reaction may include itching, sneezing, and skin irritation.

Q: Is Franciscan Rain Tree toxic to cats?

A: Yes, Franciscan Rain Tree is toxic to cats. Ingesting any part of this plant can cause symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, and drooling.

Q: What are the symptoms of Franciscan Rain Tree poisoning in cats?

A: Symptoms of Franciscan Rain Tree poisoning in cats include vomiting, diarrhea, excessive drooling, abdominal pain, and lethargy. Immediate veterinary care is recommended if ingestion is suspected.

Q: How can I prevent my cat from coming into contact with Franciscan Rain Tree?

A: To prevent contact, ensure that Franciscan Rain Tree is not present in your home or garden. Keep your cat indoors or monitor outdoor activities closely to avoid exposure.

Q: What should I do if my cat ingests Franciscan Rain Tree?

A: If your cat ingests Franciscan Rain Tree, contact your veterinarian immediately. Do not induce vomiting unless instructed by a veterinary professional. Immediate medical attention is necessary.

Q: Is Franciscan Rain Tree commonly found in gardens?

A: Franciscan Rain Tree is more commonly found in wild areas and along roadsides rather than home gardens. However, if you do have this plant in your vicinity, it is important to ensure it is kept out of reach of cats to prevent accidental ingestion.

History of the Franciscan Rain Tree

The Franciscan Rain Tree, scientifically known as Brunfelsia spp., is native to tropical regions of the Americas, including Brazil. It was named after the Franciscan friars who first cultivated it in their monastery gardens.

The plant gained popularity as an ornamental shrub due to its unique color-changing flowers, which bloom purple and fade to lavender and white over several days, giving rise to its various common names.

Further reading and sources

Please note: The information shared in this post is for informational purposes only and should not be considered as veterinary medical advice.

Hit the kitty paws and help increase worldwide cat karma!

305