Fuzzytumz logo

Are cats allergic to Everlasting Pea or is it toxic to them?

Byzantine-style illustration of Everlasting Pea plant.

The Everlasting Pea (Lathyrus latifolius), also known as Perennial Pea or Sweet Pea, is a climbing flowering plant commonly found in gardens, roadsides, and woodland edges. While this plant is not known to cause allergic reactions, it is highly toxic to cats when ingested.

All parts of the Everlasting Pea contain the toxin aminopropionitrile, which can lead to serious health issues and even death in felines.

Toxicity level

Moderate

Search Through Our Comprehensive 300+
Toxic Plant Archive Today

Additional image of the plant

Symptoms your cat may have

If a cat ingests any part of the Everlasting Pea plant, they may experience a range of symptoms due to the toxic effects of aminopropionitrile. These symptoms can manifest immediately or over time, depending on the amount consumed. Common signs of Everlasting Pea poisoning in cats include:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Lethargy and weakness
  • Excessive pacing
  • Tremors
  • Seizures
  • In severe cases, sudden death

Potential diagnosis your Vet may give

If you suspect your cat has ingested Everlasting Pea, it is crucial to seek veterinary care immediately. Your veterinarian will likely follow these steps to diagnose Everlasting Pea poisoning:

  1. Gather a detailed history of your cat’s exposure to the plant and any symptoms observed.
  2. Perform a thorough physical examination to assess your cat’s overall health.
  3. Conduct blood and urine analyses to evaluate organ function and detect any abnormalities.
  4. Examine your cat’s gastric contents to confirm the presence of the plant and its toxin.
  5. Additional tests may be performed based on your cat’s specific symptoms and condition.
An illustrative banner depicting an anthropomorphic cat in a vet's office, alongside a call-to-action message that reads: 'If you suspect your pet may have ingested a potentially toxic substance,' accompanied by a prominent button stating 'Find A Vet Near Me!
An illustrative banner depicting an anthropomorphic cat in a vet's office, alongside a call-to-action message that reads: 'If you suspect your pet may have ingested a potentially toxic substance,' accompanied by a prominent button stating 'Find A Vet Near Me!

FAQ

Q: Are cats allergic to Everlasting Pea?

A: Yes, cats can be allergic to Everlasting Pea. Symptoms of an allergic reaction may include itching, sneezing, and skin irritation.

Q: Is Everlasting Pea toxic to cats?

A: Yes, Everlasting Pea, also known as Lathyrus latifolius, is toxic to cats. Ingesting any part of this plant can cause symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, and drooling.

Q: What are the symptoms of Everlasting Pea poisoning in cats?

A: Symptoms of Everlasting Pea poisoning in cats include vomiting, diarrhea, excessive drooling, and abdominal pain. Immediate veterinary care is recommended if ingestion is suspected.

Q: How can I prevent my cat from coming into contact with Everlasting Pea?

A: To prevent contact, ensure that Everlasting Pea is not present in your home or garden. Keep your cat indoors or monitor outdoor activities closely to avoid exposure.

Q: What should I do if my cat ingests Everlasting Pea?

A: If your cat ingests Everlasting Pea, contact your veterinarian immediately. Do not induce vomiting unless instructed by a veterinary professional. Immediate medical attention is necessary.

Q: Is Everlasting Pea commonly found in gardens?

A: Yes, Everlasting Pea is commonly found in gardens and as an ornamental plant. It is important to ensure this plant is kept out of reach of cats to prevent accidental ingestion.

History of the Everlasting Pea

The Everlasting Pea is native to Europe and has been cultivated as an ornamental plant since the 17th century. It was introduced to North America and other parts of the world as a garden plant, valued for its attractive, long-lasting flowers. The plant has since naturalized in many areas, growing in disturbed soils along roadsides, woodland edges, and fields.

Despite its beauty, the toxicity of Everlasting Pea to animals has been recognized for centuries. In the past, the plant was associated with a condition called lathyrism in horses and other livestock, causing paralysis and skeletal deformities when consumed in large quantities over time.

Further reading and sources

Please note: The information shared in this post is for informational purposes only and should not be considered as veterinary medical advice.

Hit the kitty paws and help increase worldwide cat karma!

305