Fuzzytumz logo

Are cats allergic to European Bittersweet or is it toxic to them?

Byzantine-style illustration of deadly nightshade with intricate patterns

The European Bittersweet (Solanum dulcamara), also known as bittersweet nightshadeclimbing nightshade, or woody nightshade, is a perennial vine native to Europe and Asia. While cats are not typically allergic to this plant, European Bittersweet is considered toxic to cats if ingested. All parts of the plant contain solanine and other toxic glycoalkaloids, which can cause serious health issues in felines.

This poisonous plant is commonly found in woodlands, hedgerows, and along fences where it can climb using its twining stems.

Toxicity level

High

Search Through Our Comprehensive 300+
Toxic Plant Archive Today

Additional image of the plant

Symptoms your cat may have

If a cat ingests any part of the European Bittersweet plant, they may experience various symptoms due to the toxic compounds present. The severity depends on the amount consumed, but common signs of European Bittersweet poisoning in cats include:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Excessive drooling
  • Abdominal pain
  • Loss of appetite
  • Weakness
  • Confusion
  • Slow heart rate

Potential diagnosis your Vet may give

If you suspect your cat has ingested European Bittersweet, seek veterinary care immediately. Your vet will likely perform the following steps to diagnose and treat your cat:

  1. Perform a physical exam and take a thorough history
  2. Run blood tests and other diagnostic tests to assess organ function
  3. Administer activated charcoal to bind to the toxins
  4. Provide supportive care, such as IV fluids, anti-nausea medications, and monitoring
  5. In severe cases, hospitalization may be necessary
An illustrative banner depicting an anthropomorphic cat in a vet's office, alongside a call-to-action message that reads: 'If you suspect your pet may have ingested a potentially toxic substance,' accompanied by a prominent button stating 'Find A Vet Near Me!
An illustrative banner depicting an anthropomorphic cat in a vet's office, alongside a call-to-action message that reads: 'If you suspect your pet may have ingested a potentially toxic substance,' accompanied by a prominent button stating 'Find A Vet Near Me!

FAQ

Q: Are cats allergic to European Bittersweet?

A: Yes, cats can be allergic to European Bittersweet. Symptoms of an allergic reaction may include itching, sneezing, and skin irritation.

Q: Is European Bittersweet toxic to cats?

A: Yes, European Bittersweet is toxic to cats. Ingesting any part of this plant can cause symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, and drooling.

Q: What are the symptoms of European Bittersweet poisoning in cats?

A: Symptoms of European Bittersweet poisoning in cats include vomiting, diarrhea, excessive drooling, abdominal pain, and lethargy. Immediate veterinary care is recommended if ingestion is suspected.

Q: How can I prevent my cat from coming into contact with European Bittersweet?

A: To prevent contact, ensure that European Bittersweet is not present in your home or garden. Keep your cat indoors or monitor outdoor activities closely to avoid exposure.

Q: What should I do if my cat ingests European Bittersweet?

A: If your cat ingests European Bittersweet, contact your veterinarian immediately. Do not induce vomiting unless instructed by a veterinary professional. Immediate medical attention is necessary.

Q: Is European Bittersweet commonly found in gardens?

A: European Bittersweet is more commonly found in wild areas and along roadsides rather than home gardens. However, if you do have this plant in your vicinity, it is important to ensure it is kept out of reach of cats to prevent accidental ingestion.

History of the European Bittersweet

European Bittersweet has a long history of use in traditional medicine. In medieval times, it was believed to have magical properties and was used to treat various ailments such as rheumatismskin conditions, and respiratory issues.

Despite its medicinal uses, the plant’s toxicity has been well-documented, and it is now primarily considered an ornamental vine and sometimes an invasive species in certain areas.

Further reading and sources

Please note: The information shared in this post is for informational purposes only and should not be considered as veterinary medical advice.

Hit the kitty paws and help increase worldwide cat karma!

305