Fuzzytumz logo

Are cats allergic to Devil’s Ivy or is it toxic to them?

Byzantine art-inspired illustration of Devil’s Ivy

Devil’s Ivy, also known as PothosGolden PothosTaro VineIvy Arum, anEpipremnum aureum, is a popular houseplant that can be toxic to cats. While cats are not necessarily allergic to Devil’s Ivy, ingesting any part of the plant can cause severe symptoms due to the insoluble calcium oxalate crystals present in the leaves and stems.

These crystals can irritate the mouth, tongue, and gastrointestinal tract of cats. Devil‘s Ivy is commonly found as an indoor plant in hanging baskets or climbing on supports.

Toxicity level

Moderate

Search Through Our Comprehensive 300+
Toxic Plant Archive Today

Additional image of the plant

Symptoms your cat may have

If a cat ingests Devil’s Ivy, it may experience various symptoms due to the calcium oxalate crystals. These crystals can cause immediate pain and irritation in the mouth, leading to excessive drooling, pawing at the mouth, and difficulty swallowing. Other symptoms may include:

  • Vomiting
  • Decreased appetite
  • Oral pain and swelling
  • Difficulty breathing (in rare cases)

In severe cases or if a large amount of the plant is consumed, a cat may experience renal failureseizures, or even death.

Potential diagnosis your Vet may give

If you suspect your cat has ingested Devil’s Ivy, it is crucial to seek veterinary care immediately. Your veterinarian will likely follow these steps to diagnose and treat your cat:

  1. Perform a thorough physical examination, focusing on the mouth and throat for signs of irritation or swelling.
  2. Take a detailed history of your cat’s exposure to the plant and the onset of symptoms.
  3. Conduct blood tests and urinalysis to assess kidney function and electrolyte imbalances.
  4. Provide supportive care, such as intravenous fluids, pain management, and anti-inflammatory medications.
  5. In severe cases, hospitalization may be necessary for close monitoring and aggressive treatment.
An illustrative banner depicting an anthropomorphic cat in a vet's office, alongside a call-to-action message that reads: 'If you suspect your pet may have ingested a potentially toxic substance,' accompanied by a prominent button stating 'Find A Vet Near Me!
An illustrative banner depicting an anthropomorphic cat in a vet's office, alongside a call-to-action message that reads: 'If you suspect your pet may have ingested a potentially toxic substance,' accompanied by a prominent button stating 'Find A Vet Near Me!

FAQ

Q: Are cats allergic to Devil’s Ivy?

A: Yes, cats can be allergic to Devil’s Ivy. Symptoms of an allergic reaction may include itching, sneezing, and skin irritation.

Q: Is Devil’s Ivy toxic to cats?

A: Yes, Devil’s Ivy, also known as Pothos or Epipremnum aureum, is toxic to cats. Ingesting any part of this plant can cause symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, and drooling.

Q: What are the symptoms of Devil’s Ivy poisoning in cats?

A: Symptoms of Devil’s Ivy poisoning in cats include vomiting, diarrhea, excessive drooling, oral irritation, and difficulty swallowing. Immediate veterinary care is recommended if ingestion is suspected.

Q: How can I prevent my cat from coming into contact with Devil’s Ivy?

A: To prevent contact, ensure that Devil’s Ivy is not present in your home or garden. Keep your cat indoors or monitor outdoor activities closely to avoid exposure.

Q: What should I do if my cat ingests Devil’s Ivy?

A: If your cat ingests Devil’s Ivy, contact your veterinarian immediately. Do not induce vomiting unless instructed by a veterinary professional. Immediate medical attention is necessary.

Q: Is Devil’s Ivy commonly found in homes and gardens?

A: Yes, Devil’s Ivy is commonly found in homes and gardens as an ornamental plant. It is important to ensure this plant is kept out of reach of cats to prevent accidental ingestion.

History of Devil's Ivy

Devil’s Ivy, or Epipremnum aureum, is native to the Society Islands in the South Pacific. It was first discovered and classified by botanists in the late 19th century. The plant gained popularity as a houseplant in the mid-20th century due to its adaptability, ease of care, and attractive foliage. It has since become one of the most widely grown indoor plants worldwide.

The common name “Devil’s Ivy” is thought to stem from the plant’s resilience and ability to thrive in low-light conditions, as it remains green even when kept in the dark. The name may also refer to the plant’s toxicity, as it can be harmful to pets and humans if ingested.

Further reading and sources

Please note: The information shared in this post is for informational purposes only and should not be considered as veterinary medical advice.

Hit the kitty paws and help increase worldwide cat karma!

305