Fuzzytumz logo

Are cats allergic to Cutleaf Philodendron?

Byzantine-style illustration of a Ceriman Plant

The Cutleaf Philodendron (Monstera deliciosa), also known as the Swiss Cheese PlantSplit-Leaf Philodendron, or Hurricane Plant, is a popular houseplant that can be toxic to cats if ingested.

While cats are not actually allergic to this plant, the Cutleaf Philodendron contains insoluble calcium oxalate crystals which can cause severe oral irritation, swelling, and other unpleasant symptoms.

This tropical plant is commonly found as an indoor ornamental in homes and offices.

Toxicity level

Moderate

Search Through Our Comprehensive 300+
Toxic Plant Archive Today

Additional image of the plant

Symptoms your cat may have

If your cat has chewed on or ingested any part of a Cutleaf Philodendron, they may begin to exhibit the following symptoms:

  • Oral irritation
  • Excessive drooling
  • Pawing at the mouth
  • Vomiting
  • Difficulty swallowing
  • Reduced appetite
  • Lethargy

In severe cases, swelling of the airways can lead to difficulty breathing. If you notice any of these symptoms, contact your veterinarian immediately.

Potential diagnosis your Vet may give

If you suspect your cat has ingested Cutleaf Philodendron, take them to the vet right away. Your vet will likely follow these diagnostic steps:

  1. Physical examination to check for symptoms like oral swelling and irritation.
  2. If plant ingestion is suspected, your vet may induce vomiting to prevent further absorption of toxins.
  3. Bloodwork and urinalysis to assess organ function and check for signs of calcium oxalate crystals.
  4. Radiographs (X-rays) if there is a suspicion of airway swelling or other internal issues.
  5. Supportive care with IV fluids, pain relief, and medication for nausea if needed.
An illustrative banner depicting an anthropomorphic cat in a vet's office, alongside a call-to-action message that reads: 'If you suspect your pet may have ingested a potentially toxic substance,' accompanied by a prominent button stating 'Find A Vet Near Me!
An illustrative banner depicting an anthropomorphic cat in a vet's office, alongside a call-to-action message that reads: 'If you suspect your pet may have ingested a potentially toxic substance,' accompanied by a prominent button stating 'Find A Vet Near Me!

FAQ

Q: Are cats allergic to Cutleaf Philodendron?

A: Yes, cats can be allergic to Cutleaf Philodendron. Symptoms of an allergic reaction may include itching, sneezing, and skin irritation.

Q: Is Cutleaf Philodendron toxic to cats?

A: Yes, Cutleaf Philodendron, also known as Monstera deliciosa, is toxic to cats. Ingesting any part of this plant can cause symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, and drooling.

Q: What are the symptoms of Cutleaf Philodendron poisoning in cats?

A: Symptoms of Cutleaf Philodendron poisoning in cats include vomiting, diarrhea, excessive drooling, oral irritation, and difficulty swallowing. Immediate veterinary care is recommended if ingestion is suspected.

Q: How can I prevent my cat from coming into contact with Cutleaf Philodendron?

A: To prevent contact, ensure that Cutleaf Philodendron is not present in your home or garden. Keep your cat indoors or monitor outdoor activities closely to avoid exposure.

Q: What should I do if my cat ingests Cutleaf Philodendron?

A: If your cat ingests Cutleaf Philodendron, contact your veterinarian immediately. Do not induce vomiting unless instructed by a veterinary professional. Immediate medical attention is necessary.

Q: Is Cutleaf Philodendron commonly found in homes and gardens?

A: Yes, Cutleaf Philodendron is commonly found in homes and gardens as an ornamental plant. It is important to ensure this plant is kept out of reach of cats to prevent accidental ingestion.

History of the Cutleaf Philodendron

The Cutleaf Philodendron is native to the tropical forests of southern Mexico and Panama. It was first described by the French botanist Charles Plumier in the 17th century. The plant later gained the name Monstera deliciosa due to its edible fruit, which is said to taste like a mix of pineapple and banana.

Cutleaf Philodendrons were introduced to Europe and North America as ornamental plants in the early 20th century. Their unique foliage and tolerance for indoor conditions made them popular houseplants. Today, they are widely cultivated and hybridized, with numerous cultivars available in the horticultural trade.

Further reading and sources

Please note: The information shared in this post is for informational purposes only and should not be considered as veterinary medical advice.

Hit the kitty paws and help increase worldwide cat karma!

305