Fuzzytumz logo

Are cats allergic to Cuckoo-pint or is it toxic to them?

Byzantine art style illustration of a Cuckoo-pint plant with broad leaves, green spadix, and vibrant red berries against an intricate mosaic background.

Cuckoo-pint (Arum maculatum), also known as lords-and-ladies, is a poisonous woodland flowering plant native to Europe. All parts of this plant are toxic to cats due to the presence of insoluble calcium oxalate crystals and possibly proteinase enzymes, depending on the species.

Cuckoo-pint is commonly found in woodland areas, along riversides, and is sometimes cultivated as an ornamental plant in gardens.

Toxicity level

High

Search Through Our Comprehensive 300+
Toxic Plant Archive Today

Additional image of the plant

Symptoms your cat may have

If a cat ingests any part of the cuckoo-pint plant, it may experience a range of toxic symptoms. These can include an intense burning sensation in the mouth, throat, lips, and tongue, excessive droolingchokingswelling of the throat, and difficulty swallowing. In more severe cases, the cat may exhibit vomitingdiarrheagastrointestinal distressdifficulty breathing due to throat swelling, head shaking, and gagging. Symptoms can appear immediately or within two hours of ingestion and may persist for up to two weeks.

Potential diagnosis your Vet may give

If you suspect your cat has ingested cuckoo-pint, it is crucial to seek veterinary care immediately. Your veterinarian will likely perform the following steps to diagnose cuckoo-pint poisoning:

  1. Physical examination, noting symptoms in the oral cavity and gastrointestinal tract
  2. Obtain a history of potential exposure to cuckoo-pint plants
  3. If a plant sample is available, use it to confirm the diagnosis
  4. Perform additional tests (e.g., blood and urine tests) to rule out other conditions

In areas where cuckoo-pint grows naturally, it is a commonly seen plant poisoning, making diagnosis more straightforward.

An illustrative banner depicting an anthropomorphic cat in a vet's office, alongside a call-to-action message that reads: 'If you suspect your pet may have ingested a potentially toxic substance,' accompanied by a prominent button stating 'Find A Vet Near Me!
An illustrative banner depicting an anthropomorphic cat in a vet's office, alongside a call-to-action message that reads: 'If you suspect your pet may have ingested a potentially toxic substance,' accompanied by a prominent button stating 'Find A Vet Near Me!

FAQ

Q: Are cats allergic to Cuckoo Pint?

A: Yes, cats can be allergic to Cuckoo Pint. Symptoms of an allergic reaction may include itching, sneezing, and skin irritation.

Q: Is Cuckoo Pint toxic to cats?

A: Yes, Cuckoo Pint, also known as Arum maculatum or Lords and Ladies, is highly toxic to cats. Ingesting any part of this plant can cause severe symptoms and can be fatal if not treated promptly.

Q: What are the symptoms of Cuckoo Pint poisoning in cats?

A: Symptoms of Cuckoo Pint poisoning in cats include vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, difficulty swallowing, and swelling of the mouth and throat. Immediate veterinary care is crucial if ingestion is suspected.

Q: How can I prevent my cat from coming into contact with Cuckoo Pint?

A: To prevent contact, ensure that Cuckoo Pint is not present in your home or garden. Keep your cat indoors or monitor outdoor activities closely to avoid exposure.

Q: What should I do if my cat ingests Cuckoo Pint?

A: If your cat ingests Cuckoo Pint, contact your veterinarian immediately. Do not induce vomiting unless instructed by a veterinary professional. Immediate medical attention is necessary.

Q: Is Cuckoo Pint commonly found in gardens?

A: Cuckoo Pint is more commonly found in wild areas and woodlands rather than home gardens. However, if you do have this plant in your vicinity, it is important to ensure it is kept out of reach of cats to prevent accidental ingestion.

History of the cuckoo-pint

Cuckoo-pint has a long history of use in folklore and traditional medicine. Its common names, such as “lords-and-ladies” and “devils-and-angels,” often allude to the plant’s resemblance to male and female genitalia.

In the past, the plant’s root was used to make laundry starch, particularly during the Elizabethan era, to stiffen ruffs worn around the necks of the gentry. However, this practice was discontinued due to the corrosive properties of the plant’s juice, which caused painful effects for the laundresses.

Further reading and sources

Please note: The information shared in this post is for informational purposes only and should not be considered as veterinary medical advice.

Hit the kitty paws and help increase worldwide cat karma!

305