Fuzzytumz logo

Are cats allergic to Chandelier Plant or is it toxic to them?

Byzantine-style illustration of a Kalanchoe Delagoensis plant with cylindrical leaves and small plantlets

The Chandelier Plant (Kalanchoe delagoensis), also known as Mother of Millions, is a highly toxic plant to cats. This succulent houseplant contains bufadienolide cardiac glycosides which can cause serious illness in felines if ingested.

Toxicity level

High

Search Through Our Comprehensive 300+
Toxic Plant Archive Today

Additional image of the plant

Symptoms your cat may have

If a cat ingests any part of a Chandelier Plant, they may experience:

  • vomiting
  • diarrhea
  • weakness
  • abnormal heart rhythm

in severe cases, paralysis or even death.

Symptoms typically appear within a few hours of ingestion. Seek immediate veterinary care if you suspect your cat has eaten this plant.

Potential diagnosis your Vet may give

Your veterinarian will likely diagnose Chandelier Plant toxicity based on:

  1. A history of exposure to the plant
  2. Presenting clinical signs such as vomiting and diarrhea
  3. Ruling out other causes of the symptoms

Blood work, urinalysis, and an ECG may be performed to assess organ function and check for heart arrhythmias. Treatment involves supportive care with IV fluids, anti-nausea medication, and close monitoring.

An illustrative banner depicting an anthropomorphic cat in a vet's office, alongside a call-to-action message that reads: 'If you suspect your pet may have ingested a potentially toxic substance,' accompanied by a prominent button stating 'Find A Vet Near Me!
An illustrative banner depicting an anthropomorphic cat in a vet's office, alongside a call-to-action message that reads: 'If you suspect your pet may have ingested a potentially toxic substance,' accompanied by a prominent button stating 'Find A Vet Near Me!

FAQ

Q: Are cats allergic to Chandelier Plant?

A: Yes, cats can be allergic to Chandelier Plant. Symptoms of an allergic reaction may include itching, sneezing, and skin irritation.

Q: Is Chandelier Plant toxic to cats?

A: Yes, Chandelier Plant, also known as Kalanchoe, is toxic to cats. Ingesting any part of this plant can cause symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, and drooling.

Q: What are the symptoms of Chandelier Plant poisoning in cats?

A: Symptoms of Chandelier Plant poisoning in cats include vomiting, diarrhea, excessive drooling, and abdominal pain. In severe cases, it can cause heart arrhythmias. Immediate veterinary care is recommended if ingestion is suspected.

Q: How can I prevent my cat from coming into contact with Chandelier Plant?

A: To prevent contact, ensure that Chandelier Plant is not present in your home or garden. Keep your cat indoors or monitor outdoor activities closely to avoid exposure.

Q: What should I do if my cat ingests Chandelier Plant?

A: If your cat ingests Chandelier Plant, contact your veterinarian immediately. Do not induce vomiting unless instructed by a veterinary professional. Immediate medical attention is necessary.

Q: Is Chandelier Plant commonly found in homes and gardens?

A: Yes, Chandelier Plant is commonly found in homes and gardens as an ornamental plant. It is important to ensure this plant is kept out of reach of cats to prevent accidental ingestion.

History of the Chandelier Plant

Kalanchoe delagoensis is native to Madagascar. It was first described in 1857 by French botanist Joseph Dalton Hooker. The plant has since become a popular ornamental succulent, but is considered an invasive weed in many tropical and subtropical regions worldwide due to its prolific production of plantlets along leaf margins.

Further reading and sources

Please note: The information shared in this post is for informational purposes only and should not be considered as veterinary medical advice.

Hit the kitty paws and help increase worldwide cat karma!

305