Fuzzytumz logo

Are cats allergic to Ceriman or is it toxic to them or is it toxic to them?

Byzantine-style illustration of a Ceriman Plant

Ceriman (Monstera deliciosa), also known as Swiss cheese plantsplit-leaf philodendron, or hurricane plant, is a toxic plant to cats. This popular tropical houseplant contains insoluble calcium oxalate crystals that can cause oral irritation, intense burning and inflammation of the mouth, tongue and lips, excessive drooling, vomiting, and difficulty swallowing if ingested by cats.

Ceriman is commonly found as an indoor ornamental plant.

Toxicity level

Moderate

Search Through Our Comprehensive 300+
Toxic Plant Archive Today

Additional image of the plant

Symptoms your cat may have

If a cat ingests any part of a Ceriman plant, it may experience the following symptoms due to the insoluble calcium oxalate crystals:

  • Oral irritation
  • Intense burning and irritation of the mouth, tongue and lips
  • Excessive drooling
  • Vomiting
  • Difficulty swallowing
  • Pawing at the mouth

Potential diagnosis your Vet may give

If you suspect your cat has ingested Ceriman, take it to the veterinarian immediately. The vet will likely:

  1. Perform a physical exam of the mouth and throat
  2. Note symptoms like drooling, vomiting, and swelling
  3. Ask about any plants the cat may have access to
  4. Diagnose Ceriman toxicity based on symptoms and plant ingestion
  5. Provide supportive care like anti-inflammatory medication and fluid therapy
An illustrative banner depicting an anthropomorphic cat in a vet's office, alongside a call-to-action message that reads: 'If you suspect your pet may have ingested a potentially toxic substance,' accompanied by a prominent button stating 'Find A Vet Near Me!
An illustrative banner depicting an anthropomorphic cat in a vet's office, alongside a call-to-action message that reads: 'If you suspect your pet may have ingested a potentially toxic substance,' accompanied by a prominent button stating 'Find A Vet Near Me!

FAQ

Q: Are cats allergic to Ceriman?

A: Yes, cats can be allergic to Ceriman. Symptoms of an allergic reaction may include itching, sneezing, and skin irritation.

Q: Is Ceriman toxic to cats?

A: Yes, Ceriman, also known as Monstera deliciosa, is toxic to cats. Ingesting any part of this plant can cause symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, and drooling.

Q: What are the symptoms of Ceriman poisoning in cats?

A: Symptoms of Ceriman poisoning in cats include vomiting, diarrhea, excessive drooling, oral irritation, and difficulty swallowing. Immediate veterinary care is recommended if ingestion is suspected.

Q: How can I prevent my cat from coming into contact with Ceriman?

A: To prevent contact, ensure that Ceriman is not present in your home or garden. Keep your cat indoors or monitor outdoor activities closely to avoid exposure.

Q: What should I do if my cat ingests Ceriman?

A: If your cat ingests Ceriman, contact your veterinarian immediately. Do not induce vomiting unless instructed by a veterinary professional. Immediate medical attention is necessary.

Q: Is Ceriman commonly found in homes and gardens?

A: Yes, Ceriman is commonly found in homes and gardens as an ornamental plant. It is important to ensure this plant is kept out of reach of cats to prevent accidental ingestion.

History of Ceriman

Ceriman is native to the tropical forests of southern Mexico and Panama. It was introduced to England in 1752 and has since become a popular ornamental houseplant worldwide due to its large, glossy, perforated leaves. In the wild, its fruit is edible and said to taste like a mix of pineapple and banana. However, the leaves contain toxic calcium oxalate crystals.

Further reading and sources

Please note: The information shared in this post is for informational purposes only and should not be considered as veterinary medical advice.

Hit the kitty paws and help increase worldwide cat karma!

305